Old 25-01-2007, 11:27 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_6_] Jonno[_6_] is offline

Default Wine barrels question

Add some lime to the plants and you shouldnt have too many problems.
Rain water tends to turn soils acidic anyway, but your plants are in for
a treat. Its party time. (grin!) Youre mollycoddling those plants. Its
time to turn them into wine swilling tough aussie natives.
Dwayne wrote:
Mood morning Mark. My wife has several orange & lemon trees potted and kept
in during the winter. She has to put some acidic material on them a couple
times a year.

All good plants need the soil pH to be 6 or lower, depending upon the plants
(blueberries need 4 to 5.5, with 7 being neutral). The only plants that I
know of, that will grow in soil with a pH higher than approx 9.5, is weeds.

I don't think you will have any problem. If you have any doubts, take a pH
reading, and if it is too high, fill the barrel with water and add a box or
two of baking soda and let it stand for several days to neutralize any acid
left in the barrel.

Dwayne

"M" wrote in message
news
G'day All,

I have a couple of large wine barrels that I've connected up to catch rain
water off the garage roof. Works well, but at this stage the water from
them still smells strongly of red wine. I suppose that will wear off when
they've been filled/emptied/filled a few times.

My questions a Will this wine-flavoured water, which I'm assuming is
pretty acidic, harm my native plants? Is it OK for the lemon tree? What
about vegies?

Any thoughts?

Mark.