Old 26-01-2007, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg Gene Schurg is offline

Default The battle of the scale (not the diet kind)Need name plz

Wendy,

I forget where you live. I find this at Lowes or Home Depot in the garden
section. The Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub Insect Control comes in a blue
quart bottle for about $18.00. They also make a rose spray in the same line
that is of lesser concentration but I used the tree and shrub stuff.

A 32 oz bottle will make 32 gallons of mix at one oz to the gallon.

Gene

"wendy7" wrote in message
I was checking my poison cabinet & noticed that I will soon be out of

Mavrik.
So could someone tell me what to look for in the Bayer product section.
As I recall the Mavrik & Enstar II cost me over $100 so if the Bayer is

cheaper
then that would be great.
--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Bob Walsh wrote:
Wendy,

You probably don't need to try the Bayer product. Imidacloprid is the
chemical that kills the bugs in both Mavrik and the Bayer Shrub &
Brush. Mavrik is available in a far more concentated product so it
costs more but goes much further.

From what I have read do not rely on it to kill mites. Plants treated
with Imidacloprid may even attract them. Maybe that's why I have (or
had if the soap worked) them.

Bob

"wendy7" wrote in message
Thanks for this info Pat & Gene, yes I have seen plenty of the
dreaded Boisduval!
I had colour break & mutant looking flowers when I used a systemic
call Cygon
a number of years ago. (No longer available)
Have used Ortho WP along with Neem. Have not tried the Bayer
product? I have been using Enstar II along with Mavrik & so far
the best results for me. I think the Mavrik is a topical treatment
but the two are mixed together.
I mark & tag plants specially treated & document g/h sprays etc.

Now I am one that always experiments & have found that you have
to keep on
a strict regimen forever or the buggers come back.
I have unpotted a scale infested plant, cleaned every bit of potting
mix, trimmed old roots etc., sprayed any visible bugs with alcohol,
then left this
plant soaking in the Enstar/Mavrik solution over night & the next day
there
were little white babies trying to escape. Unbelievable, the float &
creep to
the sides of the bowl!!!
So my point being they are never gone.
Happy debugging,
--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Pat Brennan wrote:
Hi Gene,

You might find this site helpful.

http://www.entomology.umn.edu/cues/i...ine/Scale.html

Based on what is says, the timing seems right for the October
outbreak to be from eggs not killed. Not much will kill a bug in
all the life cycles.

I do not think you can assume you will get a years coverage from a
single spraying. The label you are reading was written for a
seasonal plant with seasonal bugs. Based on what I have seen
assume 4 to 6 weeks.

I have used this chemical to fight fungus gnats. I talked with the
rep and he recommend monthly sprayings. The label tells you to
limit sprayings to 2 per growth cycle (I am doing this from memory
so this might not be exactly right). I was afraid that too much of
a good thing would lead to color breaks, so I never followed his
advice and followed the label limits. With three drenches you hit
them pretty hard; I am interested to know much color breaking you
see in your Phals this winter. Aug is a pretty safe month to be
hitting Phals with systemics so there is a good chance you will not
see any. Pat