Old 25-03-2003, 12:22 AM
Art M

Default Kiwi?

"K, T, E & N" wrote in message
I'm in north AL. I've tried to grow Kiwi's several times because 1) I

love
the fruit and 2) they're nice vines and very pretty. I really don't

expect
them to fruit here, but would like the foliage just the same.

I've tried several times with mail order plants and all have died. If
there's a trick to getting the things to grow, I'd love to hear it and I'd
give it another try.

I've got a trellis I want to grow them over. Sunny spot. Good drainage.
Clay soil.

Kim

"Good drainage.- Clay soil." Seems like a contradiction to me. Anyway I love
the fruit too, but am usually disappointed with what's available in the
supermarkets lately. I wish I could get some fruit from my plant, but it's a
bit cold here for the standard type that I have.

They need a fair amount of water, especially during a drought. I'm at the
north edge of zone 8 and haven't had any trouble with plant survival. You
are in zone 7 which may be too cold for the standard variety (certainly to
get fruit). The link I gave yesterday gives a fair amount of technical
information.

--Art