Old 26-01-2007, 11:30 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default FYI- water crisis stroy link:

In article ,
gardenlen wrote:

dual flushes surprisingly don't save that much water, the best saving
would be if people stopped flushing urine at all, only flush solids.

Excuse me?!

We put in a dual flush toilet last April, and our water use dropped 231
litres a day. Now part of that could have been the replacement of a leaky
cistern with a good one, and replacement of our leaky bath taps, but changing
from the old cistern (~25 l per flush to 6/3 l per flush) must have been a
fair part of that!

the low flow shower heads much the same, people need to work out they
they don't need as many showers as many tend to take.

Anyone heard definitively if you can use one when you have a solar hot water
system? Low-flow shower heads are no good with gravity-fed water, but
obviously ours is a mixture of mains-pressure and gravity-fed. The plumbers
I"ve spoken to have all said they thought it was unwise, but none are experts
with solar HW.

we have a new estate up here that has recycled water piped to it but
it is only for the use of watering gardens and lawns, tat to me is
still a waste, why can't those homes be connected for using it in
their toilets?

Some new estates are; I believe Rouse Hill has that. The difficulty is the
local water company's regulations, I suspect.

we still need to remember that money spent on infrastructure is
investment fro the future, so why aren't all multiple use and public
toilets retro fitted with those waterless full flush urinals?

Because it's expensive to replace all those fittings. You refit the whole
bathroom at once, not piecemeal.

why aren't all new toilets in that catagory required to fit them first up?

why aren't water tanks compulsory for all new homes built?

We have BASIX, which is helping somewhat. I believe there is a small rebate
for fitting a tank too, but it is nowhere near the cost of installation. On
the good side, I've heard tank installers in Sydney are booked out for months
in advance.

and not to foget many homes are fitted with evaporative air coolers
these units commonly use 20 litres of drinking water for every hour of
operation.

Not down here; we're just chewing up coal and spitting out greenhouse
emissions with refrigerative systems.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue