Old 26-01-2007, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams michael adams is offline

Default Throw away attitude

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 26/1/07 07:55, in article , "michael
adams" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

A bag is not a receipt.

Indeed. But back, back, in the mists of time, possibly as far
back as the time when everything in Woolworth was 6d - the bag
alone was proof of purchase. Something like that. Maybe they
never bothered issuing till receipts as everything was 6d anyway.
Then with variable prices maybe the custom stuck. They still never
issued till receipts up until comparatively recently. 20 years ago
with the introduction of EPOS maybe? It was definitely a Woolworths
thing. But maybe only a Woolworths thing.

My grandmother never let me go into Woolworths when I was a child. She

was
convinced it was one of the prime places in which to catch polio. She

also
believed it was bad luck to pick up one of your own gloves if you dropped

it
and that it was bad luck to cross people on the stairs. ;--)

I used to be taken to Woolworths to buy an occasional Post Office
Set - 2/11, or more usually an exercise book with squares or some
pencils 6d, or 1/- most Saturdays. That Woolworths is still there,
still trading as Woolworths. Changed beyond recognition except for
the ceilings. The roses for the old light fittings etc. are still up
there. And until around 5 years ago the original maple floors. Not
that I've actually bought much\anything in there for years now. I
just go in and stare up at the ceiling now and again for old times sake.
ISTR finding a glove or gloves, and putting them where the loser can
find them rather than leaving them lying in the street, may have
been considered lucky.

michael adams

Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk