Old 26-01-2007, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes June Hughes is offline

Default Throw away attitude

In message , Anne Jackson
writes
The message from Tim C. contains these words:
Following up to Sacha :

Actually, all you have to do is say "I don't want the bag, thank you" and
take the receipt which is proof of purchase, not the bag.

That's what I said, but it seems this isn't an acceptable request by UK
shopkeepers. I've been told, so now I know.

Nonsense! I have been refusing carrier bags for over 20 years, and
as long as you sound as if you know what you're talking about, *all*
shop staff will accept your statement that a bag is not necessary!

They are good for picking up dog-pooh! Saves the expense of
manufacturing lots of little black doggie-do-do bags.

Some local councils provide dog-bags at a very reasonable price and
others provide them free of charge. Barnet Council provides very few
dog-bins for putting the poo into and wouldn't dream of providing any
bags for picking up the stuff.

In addition, there are at least four abandoned/stolen motor bikes in
Pymms Brook, which is a conservation area. Barnet Council are aware of
them - they just haven't bothered to take them away. (I know they are
aware because I have spoken many times to them asking them to remove
the offending articles). Shame!
--
June Hughes