Old 26-01-2007, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Throw away attitude

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from June Hughes contains
these words:
Anne Jackson writes
The message from Tim C. contains these words:
Following up to Sacha :

Actually, all you have to do is say "I don't want the bag, thank

you"
and take the receipt which is proof of purchase, not the bag.

That's what I said, but it seems this isn't an acceptable request
by UK shopkeepers. I've been told, so now I know.

Nonsense! I have been refusing carrier bags for over 20 years, and
as long as you sound as if you know what you're talking about, *all*
shop staff will accept your statement that a bag is not necessary!

They are good for picking up dog-pooh! Saves the expense of
manufacturing lots of little black doggie-do-do bags.

Some local councils provide dog-bags at a very reasonable price and
others provide them free of charge. Barnet Council provides very few
dog-bins for putting the poo into and wouldn't dream of providing any
bags for picking up the stuff.

I have seen at some parks and reserves large steel cages full of plastic
bags made available for dog walkers. The public biff their bags in the cage,
dog owners take them out and deposit with dog poop in bin.

Just a few hundred yards from our house there's a wonderful hill, just
perfect for walking dogs. Lots of rough grass, broom, whin bushes, etc.
and half the dog owners in Perth walk their mutts there. Years ago, you
might come upon the occasional poo, as you walked up the path, but given
the number of dogs walked there in the course of a day, it might have
been annoying, but it wasn't surprising.

Now, since the Council decided to make picking up dog poo a requirement,
(and enforcing it!) all you can see, from the car park to the very top
of the hill, are supermarket carrier bags...hundreds of the damned things!
Hanging from the bushes, and some have even been blown to the tops of the
trees! Before the recent policy came into force, the rain (and we have
plenty of that!) took care of the dog poo, washing it into the soil;

my dogs poop goes under the hedge, why waste a good manure by putting it in
the rubbish bin.

Of course, the dog owners should put the bags into the bins provided
at all access points, but they're not prepared to carry them, once
they've fulfilled their purpose...

lazy gits, pick up the poop and walk to the closest rubbish bin. If I saw
some lazy arsehole doing that they would get aright earful.

rob