Old 27-01-2007, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Other uses for olive oil

" writes

On Jan 27, 12:38 am, Anne Jackson wrote:
eI remember my grandma using almond oil, but that may have been
her 'cure' for earache? (It *was* a long time ago...)

--
AnneJ

Our Grannies knew a thing or two about cures when there was nothing
else available. Almond oil is a great carrier for other oils that are
too strong to use by themselves i.e. lavender oil.

I can remember a very small onion, like a cocktail onion, being boiled
and the very small kernel in the centre being put into my ear for
earache - I have never heard that from anyone else so I don't know if
that was just Granny's solution or if others used it.

I've heard that one - I think it's the warmth as much as anything.

Re Lavender Oil for nits (which someone else mentioned) - is it that
lavender is uniquely effective on head lice? Or is it that any oil would
kill them (rather like you are reputed to be able kill ticks with
cooking oil - it blocks their breathing holes). Or do you have to come
the lice and nits out, but the oil acts in the same way as conditioner
by making it less easy for the lice to cling on?
--
Kay