Old 28-01-2007, 06:56 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Jim Webster Jim Webster is offline

Default PMWS pork entering food chain

"pearl" wrote in message
"Jim Webster" wrote in message
yes, but I admit it

Wow.

.. and the UK is rapidly becoming a water-deficient country too..

not for agriculture. May have to ration domestic use in the SE

Crops aren't being irrigated there yet?

some vegetables and potatoes

not such things as grazing land

Stick with UK seasonal vegetables

I'd like to see evidence of vegetables causing water depletion.

Simple.
What is the water content of most vegetables?

If it's that simple you should be able to provide evidence
that vegetable production is causing water shortages.

you just did, vegetables and potatoes are the only crops in the UK needing
irrigation

And for imported crops it is simple, work out the water content of
vegetables, multiply it by tons exported, that is the amount of water that
country exports.
If that country is already water deficient, you are merely making things
worse by exporting vegetables

In
fact it is the extensive deforestation to create pasture and
feedcrops that has caused aridization; now compounded
by the need to irrigate to keep up your omnivorous habit.

'(i) Micro-climate: Deforestation of TRF leads to drastic
changes in microclimate (Lal and Cummings, 1979), as
outlined in Fig. 6. In general, deforestation eliminates the
buffering effect of vegetation cover and accentuates the
extremes. Fluctuations in micro-climatic parameters are
greatly enhanced (e.g., relative humidity, maximum and
minimum temperatures for soil and air). Deforestation
decreases rainfall effectiveness and increases aridization
of the climate. Forest removal increases the magnitude
and intensity of net radiation reaching the soil surface.
Ghuman and Lal (1987) observed that in south central
Nigeria, on average,

so irrelevent to UK and snipped

Why won't you comment on the inefficient overuse of water
for the livestock industry, jim? You are too embarassed to?

no, we use all that water that falls on grass or would otherwise go to
waste

You're forgetting about all that imported feed.

maize gluten, buiscuit meal, rememeber,
if we are looking at your diet, then it is only relevent to compare mine

don't need to, you rant on about it all the time

You do need to, as you are trying to shift the blame onto others.

but it has taken over a week to admit that you are every bit as guilty

I have not. There's no way I could be. It is inefficient
unsustainable
consumption for and by the livestock industry that is causing global
water shortages, - requiring 15 to 22 times the water for the same
amount, and at about 40 percent of global agricultural output, that's
nearly twice as much as would be used for plant foods alone - and
~you~ try to blame foods being produced for human beings directly.

Shame on you, webster. Maybe one day you'll find a backbone.

I'm not the one who took over a week to admit what she eats

Stop lying already, webster. I told you way back what I eat.

and still cannot
conceed that by importing vegetables she is importing water

You still can't provide evidence of vegetables causing drought.

Also if water is such a big deal, I'd point out that the amount used in
agriculture in the UK is less than is used by the domestic population

What percentage? A link with that would be helpful.

how much water a day to you use, start from there

How many liters of water do bovines consume per day?

remember they **** it straight back out again or convert it to milk which we
use. They drink water that is not up to human consumption standards
very little goes into meat

Jim Webster