Old 28-01-2007, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gill Matthews Gill Matthews is offline

Default Veg patch. Will a laurel hedge be ok?

In article , says...
Hi.

Will a laurel hedge be ok as a bordrfor my veg patch?

I cant find it now, but remember omeone telling me the leaves are
poisonous.

If this is right will it be safe for the veg?

Laurels are poisonous because they manufacture chemicals which generate
cyanide when the leaves are torn open. This should be a problem for your
veg unless you inadvertently add a bunch of laurel to your salad or something.
However a well grown hedge will not improve your ability to grow veg as it
will take water an nutrient from the soil and block out the light. Be prepared
to have a 2+ ft strip next to the hedge where the veg will not grow.

Gill M