Old 28-01-2007, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Devon Beach (Free Pampers & BMWs) (OT)

In article , "Keith (Dorset)"
writes

Wrecking is a time-old tradition whereby coastal dwellers have always
supplemented their often meagre earnings by salvaging items of value from
the shoreline at the time of a wreck.

Here in Dorset, often the whole community would venture out, often in
appalling weather to grab whatever was there for the taking.

Pardon me for my ignorance but I always thought that wreckers were the
murderous little swine who lured ships onto rocks thereby destroying
them and murdering the sailors on board.
It's one thing to salvage stuff from a beach another to deliberately
kill sailors!
Not that I'm condoning the looters but surely they aren't 'wreckers'?

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph