Old 28-01-2007, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Veg patch. Will a laurel hedge be ok?

In article ,
tina writes:

| Nick, Its a north (think its NNE to be exact), e want it to be about
| 4ft or 5ft high as its the boundry to the street so would like a bit
| of privacy.

That's good. You needn't worry about the shade it casts, then.

| The laurel hedge was 6ft on average, but I have clipped it down to 5ft
| just to even it up a it was 7ft sloping own to 5ft.
|
| There are 14 in total, but if it nds replacing then I'd probably
| think of it.....

Oh, I wouldn't get rid of an EXISTING hedge in that location; I would
just not plant a NEW one. As everyone else says, you don't have a
significant problem, but vegetables very close to it won't grow well
in dry spells in the summer (if any).

What you are doing is fine.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.