Old 28-01-2007, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Fire ash in compost worry

In article ,
"Tim W" writes:
| Normally I empty the ash from the log burner into the compost. I hear it is
| good for the veg patch. Normally it is just wood ash but sometimes some
| paper and card goes in the burner, sometimes shiny & printed stuff,
| sometimes a bit of tanalised timber and sometimes some old wood with old
| paint on it.
|
| I don't know anything about the chemistry of these things but I did wonder
| if I might be adding concentrated toxins to my veg patch.

Find something else to worry about. Avoid putting the ash from too
much tanalised timber or old paint, as they contain heavy metals,
but vegetables will not take up much of them. Modern shiny paper is
unlikely to be a problem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.