Old 29-01-2007, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Preventing weeds

On Jan 28, 8:19 am, "gary" wrote:
(I live in Riverside, CA)

My garden measures about 1,000 square feet. It contains roses, other
shrubs, two small trees and a sparse groundcover of gazanias.

I've just pulled it-seemed-like thousands of weeds by hand.

How can I prevent the weeds from re-emerging without harming the
existing plants?

Gary
I have found using a mulch of about 8 sheets of newsprint, covered
with
small wood chips is a very good weed barrier. (I don't like the weed
barrier fabric, because once the weeds get roots down under it they
are
extremely beastly to pull.)
I don't mind weeding, it gives me a chance to sit and enjoy the sun
and
birds. I use no chemicals at all.
You need to plant more plants!! In my garden there are so many
ornamentals that the weeds have no place to grow, except between
bricks. Shade the evil critters OUT!!
Learn what the most common weeds look like when they are just
emerging and get them out early.
Emilie
NorCal