Old 28-01-2007, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes June Hughes is offline

Default Yucca flower spike

In message ,
writes
Hi,
I have a yucca in my front garden which was successfully moved last
Spring from a shady border in the back garden to it's present location,
thanks for the advice back then! Since then it has flourished and in Autumn
a flower spike started growing. Whilst the individual flowers are now
starting to die off a bit, overall it still looks good. However, due to it's
length ( flower spike must be around 4ft tall) the plant is getting rocked a
bit in the high winds we have been getting recently. Could someone advise
please, do I allow the flower to die right back, or do I remove it now?

Over the past twenty odd years, we have treated our yucca plant very
badly and it is still thriving. Bas was so fed up with it around 20
years ago that he dug it out completely but it came back with a
vengeance four years later. I keep giving the babies away to friends
but it still goes on and on. I don't see that cutting off the flowers
will do it any harm.

There was some discussion here a few months ago about whether or not the
plant one person was asking about was in fact a yucca and IIRC it turned
out to be something else. The flowers shoot out of the plant on a long
stalk and are whitish, bell-shaped clusters, each flower being a couple
of inches long. HTH
--
June Hughes