Old 29-01-2007, 02:33 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
Alan Meyer Alan Meyer is offline

Default How do cold weather plants survive freezing?

"P. van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
"Alan Meyer" schreef
I'm trying to understand better how plants survive the winter in
cold climates.

***
Anti-freeze
PvR

Now why didn't I think of that?

Actually, I could see that there could be something to this.
If the plant synthesizes alcohols or other low freezing point
liquids that are dissolved in the cytosol, that would significantly
lower freezing point - assuming the plant could tolerate it.

It would also be relevant to know how the freezing point of
the cytosol is affected by all of the solutes since any solution
should have a lower freezing point than pure water.

However it would be awfully useful if someone who actually
knows the answer were to chime in.

Alan