Old 29-01-2007, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg Chris Hogg is offline

Default Fire ash in compost worry

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:35:04 GMT, "Tim W"
wrote:

Normally I empty the ash from the log burner into the compost. I hear it is
good for the veg patch. Normally it is just wood ash but sometimes some
paper and card goes in the burner, sometimes shiny & printed stuff,
sometimes a bit of tanalised timber and sometimes some old wood with old
paint on it.

I don't know anything about the chemistry of these things but I did wonder
if I might be adding concentrated toxins to my veg patch.

Tim w

I would echo Nick's comments. But remember that wood ash is quite
alkaline, being rich in potash but also lime. Fine for veg but not so
good for so-called lime-hating shrubs such as rhododendrons, camellias
and some heathers.

--
Chris