Old 29-01-2007, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill jtill is offline

Default Carbon dioxide and scale insects

Jadel, I read that putting the dry ice in water makes a visable fog
that is easy to see the CO2 level in the container. I plan to run my
50 thru the process when I move them outside for the summer. More
later.
Joe T

On Jan 24, 12:00�pm, "jadel" wrote:
On Jan 24, 10:24 am, Peter A wrote:

I recall that there was a thread a while back on using CO2 to get rid of
scale and other insect pests. The idea was to put the plant in a 100%
CO2 atmosphere for some length of time. The insects, being animals and
needing oxygen, would die.

Has there been any more information made available about this technique?
Anyone tried it?I've not tried it myself, but apparently it works. *IIRC, it involved

putting the affected plant into a sealed 5. gal plastic bucket with
pellets of dry ice-- care being taken to avoid direct contact between
the dry ice and the plant. *IIRc, again, it took several hours to work.

I'm sure somebody else will have a more detailed and helpful
description of the technique.

Before I bring my plants in for the winter *I spray them with an
effective scale killer and an IGR ( insect growth regulator) *No scale
this year--so far.

J. Del Col ( who brought home a nice white- Rhynchostylis gigantea- for
FL. *I didn't know they had that rich orange blossom scent.)