Old 29-01-2007, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Fire ash in compost worry

wrote in message
ups.com...

On Jan 28, 5:43 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article Probably. A quick Web search indicated that their

composition and even
shape are specified in a Statutory Instrument (albeit very

approximately.)
18B in:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1997/19972658.htm

The mind boggles.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks Nick, it seems there are statutes for everything these days!

Cuts both ways: at least you know you're probably getting a product of
standard quality for your hard-earned. But, and I wonder if this is a
big "but": what about the sulphur content? If it's a high-sulphur coal
and you put a lot of its ash down for a long time it may not be a good
idea. I don't know what the limits are at all for scattering on the
beds, but I can't see it doing a compost heap any good.

--
Mike.