Old 30-01-2007, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Fire ash in compost worry

On Jan 28, 2:57 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
In article " writes:|
| Find something else to worry about. Avoid putting the ash from too
| much tanalised timber or old paint, as they contain heavy metals,
| but vegetables will not take up much of them. Modern shiny paper is
| unlikely to be a problem.
|
| That's reassuring as I have always put the ash from our woodburner
| onto the garden. However, I also have a solid fuel range, can I put
| some of this on the garden?

Of course, but I can't tell you whether it will do good or harm!
It is probably marginal, whichever way, and will depend on the source
of the coal/coke/whatever you are using.

The main worry with coal and smokeless fuels is from trace impurities
of heavy metals and boron that are concentrated in the ash waste.
Boron can be damaging to some plants (and weeds) and the heavy metals
are perhaps not ideal use on your veg patch. Most plants will grow OK
in soil with relatively high concentrations of heavy metals without
much problem.

OTOH Wood ash is an excellent source of free potash for fruit trees
and bushes. And the onion bed seems to benefit from any bits of
residual charcoal that is left over.

Regards,
Martin Brown