Old 30-01-2007, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default What are they - continued

On 30 Jan, 16:28, "Des Higgins" wrote:
What did people do before google and usenet?
Folks all over the world had bits of plants that they inherited from their
grannies or that were growing there when they moved in or which they bought
but had comepletely forgotten their names and when you asked what it was
they would look vague and change the subject or mumble something like:
"could it be a kind of bluebell" while pointing at something 3 metres tall
and smelling of damp badger.

So true. I've been given a little plant, clover leaf type with danty
little pink flowers, (something which I wouldn't have chosen at all)
which belonged to my husband's grand mother. His aunt gave me a small
pot on which she had glued lots of shells she had found on the shore
(sunderland). I was so numb with laughter, I haved forgotten the name
of the plant, but remember the laugh )) Now I still don't know the
name, and all the shells have dropped off the pot.

I try not to google when I'm trying to identify something. It makes me
think harder. You start looking at leaves more in details, and in this
case the size which is still a bit of my problem with Iberis, as far
as I can see...