Old 25-03-2003, 04:32 AM
Warren

Default Can I Use Leftover Lawn Fertilizer from Last Year?

Come On In! wrote:

Warren, all your points are well-taken but I am an average Schmoe who
has little or no time to fuss over my lawn but I don't want to be
totally negligent either so I follow the 4-step program. Thanks for
your help though.

All the more reason *not* to dump chemicals on your lawn. As the years
go on, your lawn will become less and less healthy, and require more and
more work, and will still continue to look worse and worse.

If you're looking for a quick fix, rip out as much of the lawn as you
can, and replace it with appropriate low-maintenance perennials. After
the initial conversion, it's possible to get it down to a weekend of
work in the spring, and another weekend in the fall. Snake some soaker
hoses, connect a timer, and you've cut your work even further.

(Okay, I exaggerate a bit. The first few years while you wait for things
to fill in, you may need to do a little weeding, but weeds growing in
mulch come out a lot easier than those in the lawn. Or you could over
plant in the beginning, and just thin-out some plants as years go by.)

Lawns are a lot of work. And they become more and more work if they
become dependant on some chemical program. If you're really short on
time, don't be tempted by the chemical route. Take a little bit of time
this year to build a healthy lawn that can sustain itself well.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.