Old 31-01-2007, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default plastic mulch

"bill" wrote in message
Dear Gardner's

For the first time I am trying a black polythene mulch of 1m squared

around
the base of a young fruit tree, as recommended to warm soil and

suppress
weeds. (the tree is on a 25 degree slope)

However I am concerned that the tree will miss out on rain water, as

it will
run over the sheet and not pass into the soil. Do I need to make

some holes
in the plastic sheet or water the tree? Last year I did not have to

water
without the mulch.

I use really big flat rocks as mulch and to stop weeds under some of
my trees. The rocks also seem to stop the frosts from impacting on
the tree as much as the unrocked ones so I assume that they also work
as soil warmers.

(I can't use plastic in my climate as it's far too dry and I'd just
end up with dead trees)