Old 31-01-2007, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis Emery Davis is offline

Default plastic mulch

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:12:05 -0000
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

"bill" wrote in message
Dear Gardner's

For the first time I am trying a black polythene mulch of 1m squared

around
the base of a young fruit tree, as recommended to warm soil and suppress
weeds. (the tree is on a 25 degree slope)

However I am concerned that the tree will miss out on rain water, as it

will
run over the sheet and not pass into the soil. Do I need to make some

holes
in the plastic sheet or water the tree? Last year I did not have to water
without the mulch.

Thank you for your advice

Iain

If you use the ground cover woven fabrics or coir mats this will not be a
problem

I've used the coir disks around maples and wondered recently whether the
very high moisture retention properties are a bad thing visavis disease,
in particular verticillium. In practice virtually any japanese maple from
the trade will come down with verticillium if overly stressed, but it seems
to me that having almost permanent moisture at the root flair can't help.

I guess that the woven fabric offers better air flow and as such is a
superior solution for me, and this fall I stopped using the mats in favor
of the cloth. Also the cloth allows you to cover a larger area for bigger
specimens.

-E

--
Emery Davis