Old 31-01-2007, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Meyer's lemon recipe

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:45:51 -0000
"Des Higgins" wrote:

parent plant. However, to make seeds, you need to undergo sexual cell
division and this causes DNA to rearrange and with some highly cultivated
varieties, the progeny are a mish mash of all sorts of combinations of
the
parent features.

Here's a nit to pick, which I only do because I found it interesting
personally.

What you say is true unless the plant reproduces apomictically, in which
case
the child plant grown from seed is genetically identical to the parent.
This is
the case for many Rowans, which is the context in which I found out about
this fascinating mechanism.

I had no idea that Rowans did it (apomyxis).
I knew Dandelions and Blackberries did.
Weird business; causes endless headaches for taxonomists (or endless
employment).

No quibble at all with what you said visavis the lemon, of course.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom