Old 31-01-2007, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] dazzhiggins@hotmail.com is offline

Default Meyer's lemon recipe

On Jan 31, 2:23 pm, "R.A.Omond" wrote:
Des Higgins wrote:
[...snip...]

Many cultivated varieties of fruit trees are genetically unstable.
The cells can divide and grow vegetatively to produce new roots, shoots and
leaves (and fruit) and all of these bits are genetically identical to the
parent plant. However, to make seeds, you need to undergo sexual cell
division and this causes DNA to rearrange and with some highly cultivated
varieties, the progeny are a mish mash of all sorts of combinations of the
parent features.

Fruit trees are usually propagated vegetatively e.g. from cuttings and often
with grafting onto established root stocks.
This way, you get mature plants faster and they are genetically identical to
the parents.

Oh, and what would *you* know about genetics and DNA, Higgins ?

P.s. hi !

I will have you know young man that being a father of 17 good
strapping
patriotic surviving childer, I know a lot about genetics and DNA.

Des