Old 31-01-2007, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_2_] Robert[_2_] is offline

Default potatoes

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
: On 31 Jan, 13:36, jellyfish
: wrote:
: gonna try potatoes this year for the first time, so i ordered them and
: they arrived at the weekend.They are a maincrop variety ,name escapes
: me. was just curious as to when i should box them up? egg cartons at
: the ready so to speak..i live east of colchester in essex/east anglia
: if this helps with frost areas..advice would really help thx
:
: Put your spud eyes up in your egg box and place in a cool place,
: preferably dark to start with and then when you see little shoots move
: them to a lighter place. When I come to chitting my spuds, I place
: them in a close veranda, which is very cool but light. It doesn't make
: any difference, to me at least. I always get mine end of February
: which is the right time to me from chitting to planting time. I'm
: Lancashire and I plant them at Easter, or a week later if I decide to
: go quad biking for a week with the kids )
:
: Here a site which explain everything to you.
:
: http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/factsheets/gg9.php
:
: Good luck!
:
How odd, I disagree with the organic gardening people, if you put them in
the dark it only speeds up the chitting which at the early stage of the year
is not what you want