Old 31-01-2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] judith.lea99@googlemail.com is offline

Default potatoes

On Jan 31, 5:35 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"jellyfish" wrote

gonna try potatoes this year for the first time, so i ordered them and
they arrived at the weekend.They are a maincrop variety ,name escapes
me. was just curious as to when i should box them up? egg cartons at
the ready so to speak..i live east of colchester in essex/east anglia
if this helps with frost areas..advice would really help thx

Carton them up now in a very cool but frost free place in light and they
will slowly make nice short sturdy green growths which should be just right
to plant at the correct time.
I chit mine in trays with a layer of potting compost in to which they root
as well as making top growth. (I do not water them btw)

--
Regards
Bob H

Bob, That's exactly the way my late Father used to prepare his and we
always had great potatoes.

Edward, my husband chits his without the compost but his are never as
early as my Father's were.

JudithL at home