Old 31-01-2007, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gill Matthews Gill Matthews is offline

Default potatoes

In article , says...

gonna try potatoes this year for the first time, so i ordered them and
they arrived at the weekend.They are a maincrop variety ,name escapes
me. was just curious as to when i should box them up? egg cartons at
the ready so to speak..i live east of colchester in essex/east anglia
if this helps with frost areas..advice would really help thx

Put them in a tray in a cool light indoor place with the end with the
most eyes at the top (I use cardboard rings ctu from toilet roll and kitchen
roll tubes to help them balance) They will grow shoots called chits which
should grow to about an inch long. If there is not enough light the chits
tend to get thin and straggly. My father who lives near Southminster which
must be reasonably near plants out at the begining of March.

Gill M