Old 31-01-2007, 06:21 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody Derek Moody is offline

Default PMWS pork entering food chain

In article , pearl
wrote:
"Jim Webster" wrote in message news:52botiF1npp

You said that some vegetables require irrigation. What would
happen if drought continues and reservoirs empty altogether?

I also said you would have to cut domestic water consumption

Say it again. And maybe some vegetable production too.

Or different veg and more polytunnels.

so they are going to have to cut domestic water consumption, because
there is enough water falling for agriculture, whatever sort of
agriculture
you want.

Yes, you just said that. The question is, *why* is this happening?

too many people, using too much energy, too much water going on washing
cars, irrigating gardens, flushing toilets, etc etc

Extensive deforestation for grazing and feedcrops affecting climate.

Happened centuries ago with no great climatic effect.

of course it couldn't possibly be anything to do with the vast urban
population, oh no, no way, they have to be innocent

Can't you get the simple fact that shortages are due to a lack of rain?

No.

There is more than enough rain.

Built up areas prevent water getting into the aquifers and profligate
populations flush it away.

That is why we import bread making wheat, because we don't have the
sunshine
that we need to guarantee production

- BS. 'Only' 39% of British wheat is used as livestock feed.

exactly. And it is grown in the areas where it can be grown, the rest of
the
land is unlikely to produce bread making wheat which is why more wheat
isn't
grown

61% does.. Wheat is grown, partly as it *is* suited to the climate.

no,

Yes.

No. Only an idiot would plant bread wheats in that quantity. If the season
was less then perfect the bulk of the crop would be fit only for animal feed,
expensive, low yield, animal feed at that.

Wheat and barley are the most important cereal crops grown in the

Pearl, you are posting to a farming group. We -know- all this stuff and
-we- understand it.

on the land fit for growing wheat, only 61% is suitable for bread
making.

Ipse dixit. That only 61% of wheat is used does not prove that.

That is the area that -could-, in appropriate conditions, produce bread
wheat. Most of the wheat planted even there will be suitable only for
biscuit, cake and other low-protein uses. Large parts will be under other
crops for much of the time.

The by-product of these processes are also useful animal feed. In fact the
bulk of the crop taken might be used as animal feed even though every single
grain harvested goes for human consumption.

I'm glad you've noticed OSR,

What's that?

you mean you posted great screds of stuff about something you didn't
understand

No. Clearly I don't understand what "OSR" stands for.

We noticed. So stop posting about it.

Cheerio,

--

http://www.farm-direct.co.uk/