Old 31-01-2007, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Meyer's lemon recipe

On Jan 31, 1:14 pm, Emery Davis wrote:

Here's a nit to pick, which I only do because I found it interesting personally.

What you say is true unless the plant reproduces apomictically, in which case
the child plant grown from seed is genetically identical to the parent. This is
the case for many Rowans, which is the context in which I found out about
this fascinating mechanism.

.... and in the context of many Citrus, highly relevant. Although
oranges are the most likely to produce apomictic seedlings (in other
words progeny identical to the mother plant), lemons can do the same.
Occasionally a seed will produce several to many seedings, the least
vigorous (or most 'runtish' ) of which will be the result of sexual
reproduction and a combination of the pollen donor and mother plant.
In this case, almost anything and everything can happen. The more
vigorous 'seedlings' will be clones of the mother and eventually
produce fruits that are similar to those from which they arose. How
long that takes though, is another question.