Old 01-02-2007, 06:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Will severed cactus 'arm' grow?

"Jane" wrote in message

I've got a lovely, large old cactus that got a little bit damaged

when I
recently moved house. One of its many 'arms' (wonder what they are
called? It really does look like it's spreading its arms out to take

bow) got damaged near the 'trunk' of the plant and I had to cut it

off.
I trimmed it down a bit and put it in a little bit of water and I

was
wondering if it would continue to grow, if I should put it in cactus
compost or something. Any ideas?

Take it out of the water, put it somewhere where the wound can dry out
and heal over a few days.
When the wound is dry, then put it into some sandy potting mix water
and wait - keep it dryish rather than wettish.