Old 01-02-2007, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Problem with hyancinthus

"mertin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

My hyancinthus are out! but they are not growing, they have the
"spike" just at the level of the soil. the same happened with my
Scilla siberica and this one has flowered already, but instead of
15-20 cm is only 2 cm

Is this normal??

Thanks

The short height flowering of some spring bulbs is due to lack of winter
cold. Fritillaries other than meleagris are prone to this and we can not
grow many spring bulbs that come from winter cold regions as we never get
sufficient winter cold for them to flower properly.
So its not exactly normal but there is nothing much you can do about it!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk