Old 01-02-2007, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mel Mel is offline

Default Liming for Brassicas

"p.k."wrote .
rain time to wash the lime in, which helps it break up heavy soils.
Provided you dig the ground over just before planting (which we all
do anyway), this will incorporate the lime and things will be fine.

The guy is in Lancashire - rain is not a problem!

Ain't that the truth. Last year, when all that was on the news was the
drought and hosepipe ban and Monty Don rabbiting on about saving water and
drought-resistant plants, it was chucking it down relentlessly up here and
my allotment was drowning in a quagmire of mud. Mind you, it did warm up a
bit for a few weeks so it wasn't all bad! Right now, my allotment is one
big puddle.