Old 01-02-2007, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default potatoes

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 17:40:27 +1100, "Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow
wrote:

I've just got to ask. Why would one bother to chit potatoes? By that
I mean what are the advantages of chitting over not chitting them.

If I recall, last year or the one before, on Gardeners' World they did
a trial to see if chitting gave a better crop.
I seem to remember that they came to the conclusion that chitting is a
good idea for earlies, to get them going quicker, but it made no
difference for maincrops.
I have a friend who has good potato crops and never bothers chitting
any of them.
However, it is better to have them in the light so that they form
short green shoots, than in the dark where they sproug long, etiolated
shoots. Timing is essential, to get them just right for planting
time. (traditionally Good Friday; April 6th this year)

Pam in Bristol