Old 25-03-2003, 08:45 AM
Zizz

Default blind bulbs - newbie question

"hayley" wrote in message
Hello, I'm new here and wondered if anyone could help with a question. I
have a very badly drained, clay soil, newish, S Cheshire, west facing
garden. I've been mulching with sharp sand and bark for the last two years
and each year it disappears so I'm assuming the worms pull it all in. I've
also planted lots of bulbs. Each year the daffodils flower but come up

blind
the next year. I make sure that they are well watered if the soil does dry
out and I feed regularly with "Growmore" and with chicken manure. Any
suggestions? At the moment I can hardly see the recent ones which have
flowered as they are all hidden by masses of leaves from previous years.
(The bulbs are from all different sources, varying from "garden centre

named
varieties" to "DIY shed bulk lots", each has the same problem. Also tulips
(if they don't rot) are fine, it's just the daffodils.) Thanks in advance,
Hayley

They flower the first year but not the second .... are you leaving the
leaves on them to die down so they make enough oomph for flowers the
following year?