Old 01-02-2007, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Penstemons in north Jersey

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually, they were only $2, but those two dollars could buy alot of
frustration! Sure I can try them. But I don't really have the time to
spend coaxing a plant to grow here if others (with more time) have
already tried and given up. I've already done that with perennials
that are SUPPOSED to grow here! Plus, Park said I could exchange them
if I want.

I'd like to hear from folks who have already tried them and hear what
they've found.

Doug

Gardening is all about dreams and accepting failures and disasters. Don't
coax them. Plant them and see what happens. If they require too much
attention, they'll die.

Having said that, Wayside Gardens site makes me think they'll do OK:
http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp...&OfferCode=T3H

I checked both of Henry Mitchell's books and found nothing about penstemon.
You might like the books, though: The Essential Earthman and One Man's
Garden. He gardened in Washington DC, not THAT far from your climate. If you
follow a lot of his plant advice, you should be broke and living on the
street in no time at all. Too many good suggestions, never enough money.