Old 02-02-2007, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
hob hob is offline

Default Victorian garden plants?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm working on creating a list of romantic victorian garden plants and
really wanted some that would be authentic to the period. Anyone have
any
ideas?

I decided on a Victorian garden for my Queen Anne Victorian - and after
looking into what they actually prized, I decided to abandon that idea just
go with more subtle stuff like daylilies and roses.

The Victorian period was a long period - and the gardens had a lot of what
we today would consider garish - anything big, ugly, odd, bright and bold,
exotic, and no subtlety and in-your-face would be a prized garden piece in
Victorian times. The louder and the more out of place, the more the proper
Victorian loved it.

Blessings, Angela