Old 01-02-2007, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
80/20 80/20 is offline

Default Raised beds

On 30 Jan, 22:48, Sacha wrote:
On 30/1/07 20:19, in article
. com, "80/20"

wrote:
I have a small lawn that is not it's best because it is used in the
summer as a patio area, the table, chairs and umbrella stand all turn
the lawn yellow.

I am thinking of digging it up and covering the area will gravel,
after putting down a mulch sheet.

I also would like to put triangular raised beds on the 4 corners to
grow veg in.

Questions:
How high would you make the beds?
I have plenty of home made compost, could this be used to fill the
beds?
What crops would you recommend?

My first reaction would be that if you intend to gravel it and then put a
table and chairs on it, you'll curse yourself to the end of your days! Pave
it, perhaps but if it's gravel it will never, ever be an even surface for
garden furniture.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/