Old 02-02-2007, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Green manures/cover crops

On 2 Feb, 11:01, "George.com" wrote:
Has anyone experience with green manures &/or cover crops in a vege patch?
If so, what are your experiences. What did/do you grow, for what sorts of
benefits and what were/are your planting regimes (sowing, harvesting etc).

I've used phacilia on my new lotty (3 years) as I'd started from
scrach and it has expended over the years. I've been given another
half plot only last year. The 'committee' being very heavy handed, I
felt not only it gave me the chance to do good to my empty beds but
looked like something was happening, if you know what I mean. Also it
brightens up the lotty in winter. Phacilia is great as it's not
related to any veg and therefore I don't need to worry about what will
follow it. I've used red clover as well, but never worked it in as
this was for a wild area by our pond which I've used as undercrop with
flowers. My neighbour undercrop all her leeks with clover - you'd eat
her soil if you'd see it as it's the best one I've ever seen, just
spit a pit in there and it'll grow )