Old 02-02-2007, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Victorian garden plants?

On Feb 1, 12:21 pm, "
wrote:
I'm working on creating a list of romantic victorian garden plants and
really wanted some that would be authentic to the period. Anyone have
any
ideas?
Blessings, Angela

The Victorian Era was the beginning of the great plant explorations,
and many
new things were introduced. The Victorians had a great variety of
plants,
many came from China and all over the world.
About the 'romantic' part of your question: there was a language of
flowers,
in which a flower carried a definite message if sent to a lover or
prospective
lover.
Pansy ( 'to think' pensee (sp?) meant To think of Love. It was
considered
a bad luck flower to send to a man, however.
Bell flower was a symbol of constancy and kindness
Daisy was a symbol of innocence
Forget me Not means friendship, loving remembrance and fidelity
This is all in a book "Garden Flower Folklore" by Laura C. Martin
Maybe your library has a copy
Emilie