Old 02-02-2007, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dick Adams Dick Adams is offline

Default Rabbit disease

R M. Watkin asked:
I have not heard about the disease that rabits carry. As far
as I know they are shot all the time in the U.K. can you
explain this please. Thank you.

My father was a medical doctor and he explained this to me years
ago. I don't recall his explanation, but I found the following
which is very much on-point at http://tinyurl.com/ysvo2q

"Tularemia is a bacterial disease of rabbits that is transmittable
to man, usually through openings in the skin. Hunters who notice
small white or yellow spots on the surface of the rabbit's liver
when they are field dressing it should discard the entire rabbit
immediately. During the early stages of the disease the liver can
appear normal, though the infected rabbit may behave oddly, move
slowly or be easily captured. It is a good idea to wear rubber
gloves when dressing a rabbit and it is important to always cook
rabbit meat thoroughly. Tularemia is transmitted between rabbits
by fleas and ticks. The rabbits usually die from the disease, but
it is not normally a problem once there has been a good hard frost
and the temperature remains cool. A hard frost kills ticks and fleas
which carry the disease and any rabbit infected prior to the freeze
will normally die within a few days of contracting the disease."

This may be a global problem, a North American problem, or just a
local problem, but it is a real problem.

However, never let anything stop you from killing a rabbit feasting
in your garden.

Dick