Old 02-02-2007, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Skip Hollowell Skip Hollowell is offline

Default Plants for low tech low light newbie tank

Thanks Richard. After prowling this group for a few weeks, I know that
you are the defacto expert, so moss it is.

I saw an article about training it with a couple of sheets of that
plastic needlepoint fabric. Is that a preferred method to get it into a
shape and size I like for starting out? Obviously it will grow
(hopefully) and need trimming, but I gotta start somewhere.

If I can get this going, and get it to a point of acceptability by the
Mrs., then I can look at more wattage, and thus more advanced plantings.

Thanks again.

Skip Hollowell

Richard Sexton wrote:
In article ,
Skip Hollowell wrote:
I recently set up a 20 gallon 16" high tank, and it will be for the most
part a planted tank. I have a few things in it right now, but the only
name that springs to mind is WaterSprite (center of the tank), and 1
Anubias (not sure of which kind) that fills a corner and is the full height.

I am in search of some ground cover, but the lighting is what's going to
hurt me, from what I understand. 30 Watts total, 2 bulbs, 1 full
spectrum and 1 6700K. I am looking for something that will make a nice
carpet. I have the Eco black substrate in there now, but would be more
than happy if I could get it mostly covered in a nice carpet eventually.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Moss.

You can train and trim it to do pretty much anything anf
it's about the only thing that groundcover-ish that
will do well in low to medium light and no co2.