Old 02-02-2007, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes Alan Holmes is offline

Default Raised beds

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message

Steve,

I use 6in by 4in treated timber boards just screwed together.

I dug over the soil the first year and added compost. Every year I add a
bit more compost and its gradually building up.

You don't need to fill them all up the first season.

Make three beds and rotate them with roots, brassicas and 'other' (look up
'crop roatation').

I have been thinking, and that is not easy!, about using raised beds, but
they would be 30 feet by 4 feet, how would I be able to make those up to a
reasonable level, of soil I mean!

Alan