Old 02-02-2007, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_2_] Robert[_2_] is offline

Default Green manures/cover crops

La Puce wrote:
: On 2 Feb, 11:01, "George.com" wrote:
:: Has anyone experience with green manures &/or cover crops in a vege
:: patch? If so, what are your experiences. What did/do you grow, for
:: what sorts of benefits and what were/are your planting regimes
:: (sowing, harvesting etc).
:
: I've used phacilia on my new lotty (3 years) as I'd started from
: scrach and it has expended over the years. I've been given another
: half plot only last year. The 'committee' being very heavy handed, I
: felt not only it gave me the chance to do good to my empty beds but
: looked like something was happening, if you know what I mean. Also it
: brightens up the lotty in winter. Phacilia is great as it's not
: related to any veg and therefore I don't need to worry about what will
: follow it. I've used red clover as well, but never worked it in as
: this was for a wild area by our pond which I've used as undercrop with
: flowers. My neighbour undercrop all her leeks with clover - you'd eat
: her soil if you'd see it as it's the best one I've ever seen, just
: spit a pit in there and it'll grow )

I tried Phacelia and Hungarian Rye this winter, the first time for green
manuring. The rye was nearly all washed out of the ground by the heavy rain
which surprised me. The Phacelia has been a lovely bright green but got
knocked down considerably by a huge hail storm on new year's day. Yesterday
I dug it in and am waiting for the growing season to see how it helps