Old 03-02-2007, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Seed compost

In article , K
writes
Why clay pots?

I find slower germinating seeds do better in them, perhaps they are
warmer in the winter or maybe they hold moisture better?

I usually put long term seeds into plastic trays inside a sealed
plastic bag, because otherwise I always forget to water them. That's
what I'd be afraid of using clay pots.

I leave the hardy stuff to over winter so don't need to keep watering
them. It's just as easy to water them as the plastic ones when the
weather is dry.

Wouldn't the higher nutrient of the stronger stuff in the base simply
leach upwards? Would it be a problem if it did?

Thought it might burn the more tender seeds.

How deep is your pot or seed tray for this? Even an apparently tiny
plants can have an extensive root run, which in a seed tray just goes
sideways and gets tangled in all the other seedlings (speaking as
someone who doesn't always pot on as quickly as I should)

Well I was only thinking of doing it in fairly deep pots, as I also
forget to transplant them as quickly as I should!

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph