Old 03-02-2007, 07:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Flowers from seeds

Sorry for not being more specific, but I have planted so many different
varieties of
flower seeds in the past that I've lost track of what they were.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"sherwindu" wrote in message
I'm pretty good at growing tomatoes and other vegetables from seed, using
grow
lights and heating pads, but flowers are always a big problem. I can get
them
to sprout, but very seldom can get any decent survivors to plant out in
the
garden or
patio. They are more delicate and require more attention, but what can I
do
to insure more productivity of these flower seeds? I am buying good
quality
seeds
from places like Thomson & Morgan. Some of the more exotic flowers never
even
come up.

Sherwin D.

Too many variables for a simple answer.

- Describe the growing conditions for your seed starting activities. Light,
temperature, etc.

I thought I explained grow lights and heating pads. The lights are kept very
close
to the seed bed, and the pads are adjusted to the temperatures recommended on

the seed packets. I can get most of them past the germination stage, but
getting
them transplanted into bigger containers and/or moving them outside is the
bigger
challenge. I sometimes use a cold frame to adjust them to the outside
environment,
but that does not cure the problem. I do not have a good sun lit window in
the
house to get them better established inside, so I am trying to get them to
grow
outside, as soon as possible. Although many of the seedlings are recommended
for
direct sunlight, maybe I should keep them in more of a shaded place until
they get
better established?

- There are what...a million kinds of flowers? You can't say "They are more
delicate...." or anything else about them without providing the names of the
plants. Marigold seedlings are pretty tough. Impatiens, portulaca and wax
begonias require more care. Whattya got?

- Exotic generally means "Not a lot of people grow them", and sometimes,
there's a reason for that.