Old 03-02-2007, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Brian[_8_] Brian[_8_] is offline

Default No dig gardens

Tularemia (also known as rabbit fever or deerfly fever) is an infectious
disease in ticks and rabbits that is caused by a bacterium (Francisella
tularensis). The disease was first described in Japan in 1837. Its name
relates to the description in 1911 of a plague-like illness in ground
squirrels in Tulare county, California (hence the name tularemia) and the
subsequent work done by Dr. Edward Francis.

Tularemia occurs throughout North America and in many parts of Europe and
Asia. Francisella tularensis is found worldwide in over a hundred species of
wild animals, birds and insects. Some examples of animals, other than
rabbits, that carry tularemia are meadow mice, ground hogs (woodchucks),
ground squirrels, tree squirrels, beavers, coyotes, muskrats, opossums,
sheep, and various game birds.

A hard freeze tends to wipe out the weaker infected animals, so that is why
we don't eat wild rabbits around here until at least one or two good
frostings.

What are they shot with in the UK? I thought firearms had been banned there.

"R M. Watkin" wrote in message
Hi All.
I have not heard about the disease that rabits carry. As far as I know
they are shot all the time in the U.K. can you explain this please. Thank
you.

Richard M. Watkin.