Old 03-02-2007, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jane Jane is offline

Default Garden Design

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Jane
writes

I have met many people who seriously have not got a clue. And they are
not ashamed to admit it.

No we aren't!
I can grow a fair few plants but I haven't a clue how to 'merge beds' or
make "paths logical" or plan out interesting vistas. What I would
require in a designer is for her/him to take all my plants and re
arrange them artistically

I follow all the design programmes and just can't see what they mean
when they scribble something on a bit of paper and show how easy it is
to bring 'elements together'
I tend to dig a bit out here and there so I get more room to grow yet
more plants.

On the other hand I also have a lot of plants which require some sort of
"life laundry" to throw away the useless ones and concentrate on worthy
garden plants. Ho hum........ I just haven't got the heart to dig them
up unless they go into another garden..

That's admirable, Janet. There is always a new home for an unwanted
plant. One man's meat is another's poison. I can't tell you how many
plants I take out of one client's garden who can't stand them, to plant
in another's who loves them. Lovely part of the job, actually, giving
them a new home with someone who appreciates them. Sort of the ultimate
recycling, I think. And if nobody wants them, I take them until I find
them a home. Bit of a softy! :-)