Old 04-02-2007, 04:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
Alan Sung Alan Sung is offline

Default How much 'grip' does Boston ivy need?

"kaspian" wrote in message
I'm sorry, but most of the replies in this thread are totally insane.
P. tricuspidata will not, as some posters claim, sink roots into your
walls. What happens is, as the stems grow longer, they produce tendrils
that are tipped by small, disk-shaped suckers that stick like glue to
just about anything they touch. This is not a destructive process.
The stickers do not burrow or "root" -- they just stick, tenaciously.

Sorry if there was any confusion. I did not mean to say that the stickers or
tendrils burrow into your wood siding. What I meant is that the actual stem
will force its way between narrow openings. As the stem matures and grows
thicker in diameter, it can force that narrow opening wider. The ivy you see
growing in the Ivy League is growing on stone or brick buildings. Not much
is growing on wood. Those universities also perform routine maintenance to
keep the ivy where it is supposed to be and away from windows, doors, and
other vents.

-alan sung [an ex-Ivy Leaguer]
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA (Zone 6a)